Sunday, 16 January 2011

H2O and Salt

Two Hydrogen
One Oxygen
And a little Salt
Makes a Tear



Tears that refuse to fall
Well behind bright eyes
Lapping up the pain
Brimming under pressure
Yet never falling

So why isn't my brain drowning
And why isn't my nose running
And why aren't my lips swollen
And why aren't my ears bursting
Maybe they are and I'm too numb to know

Do tears fall when I sleep
When there's no one to see
And no pain that can be disguised
Do they escape from my closed eyes
Is my pillow salty from the release

Would people be surprised to learn
That I'm not dead inside
That I'm touched so deep it hurts
And I don't remain unaffected
I control the pain I feel to save face

Understand that I do love you
And I don't wish you weren't here
But every smile that doesn't show
Is a tear that was never shed
Promise to follow me if I walk away

Pins stabbing the backs of my eyeballs
Are tears bitter from the wait for freedom
Itching to make tracks down my cheeks
Will this pressure ever seep from my aching eyes
Only if you're holding me tight


Two Hydrogen
One Oxygen
And a little Salt
Makes a Tear


Charlotte Gardiner - July 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment